- “How often do I hear points of view that differ from my own?
- How direct and candid are people when they disagree with me?
- How do I respond to them when that happens?
- How would the people who disagree with me characterize these interactions?
- When did someone last disagree with me in public?”
“There is a principle in philosophy and rhetoric called the principle of charity, which says that one should interpret other people’s statements in their best, most reasonable form, not in the worst or most offensive way possible.”